Applications - Programs with Exchange Partners
Western Law offers two dual degree programs in conjunction with exchange partner institutions. Please click on the program you are interested in to see the structure and specific requirements of the program as set out in the official academic calendar.
- Western/Université Laval Joint Degree
- JD/LLM (University of Groningen, The Netherlands) Dual Degree
Western / Université Laval
Western and l’Université Laval offer students the opportunity to obtain both the common law degree and civil law degree in four years of study at both institutions. Not only do students have the opportunity to develop their skills in the other official language and increase their knowledge of the other legal system, they also have access to membership in both the Law Society of Upper Canada and the Barreau du Québec.
To be eligible to attend the partner institution, students at either Western or Laval must have:
- completed their law degree while standing in the top 50% of their year (based on the aggregate of their grades from all years);
- participated in the Laval/Western Law Exchange program during their law program; and
- demonstrated the ability to learn law in the other language.
Students who participate in the Western/Université Laval dual degree program are eligible to apply for the prestigious Richard J. Schmeelk Fellowship. The Fellowship provides $10,000 per term to students, with the aim of promoting intercultural awareness and interprovincial studies. The deadline for the Schmeelk Fellowship is April 15, therefore Laval applicants interested in an early acceptance (or conditional acceptance) so they can satisfy the deadline for possible Schmeelk Foundation funding should have their application to Western Law NO LATER than March 15.
Application documents required for Laval students:
- Signed application form.
- A personal statement of up to 7000 characters (including spaces). There are two parts to the Personal Statement. Please refer to this form for specific instructions and attach your statement to it.
- Official transcripts of all non-Western post-secondary grades sent directly to the Admissions Office by the issuing institution.
- Reference letters (two are required; one must be from a law professor) sent directly to the Admissions Office by your referees.
- Letter from Laval confirming academic standing in the top 50% of your year.
- A copy of your LSAT Score Report, if the LSAT was ever written.
- Application fee of $100.00. (Please make the cheque payable to The University of Western Ontario).
JD/LLM (University of Groningen, The Netherlands)
JD Students at Western are eligible to apply to Western’s international dual degree program with the Faculty of Law at the University of Groningen provided they:
- apply during their second year of Law School for a Fall term exchange at Groningen;
- participate in the exchange in their third year of law school; and
- stand in the top 50% of their class at Western.
Applications are processed through Western Law’s International Programs Office.
Applicants must maintain their standing in the top 50% of their class for the remainder of their JD program in order to enroll at the University of Groningen Faculty of Law. After graduating with a JD, Western students return to Groningen for an additional term to take the remainder of their LLM courses, such that both degrees may be completed in 3 ½ years of studies. The courses in the LLM program are offered in English and students may choose from several LLM programs.