Applications - Combined Graduate Programs
Students in the following combined-degree graduate programs may complete both degrees in less time than the four years required if the degrees were completed separately. These programs are designed for students who envision a career where law and another discipline intersect.
- JD/MBA (Ivey Business School)
- JD/MSc (Computer Science)
- JD/MSc (Geology or Geophysics)
- JD/MA (History)
To see the formal requirements for the program you are interested in, please visit Western's Academic Calendar.
Law School Admission Test
The Law School Admission Test is required for all combined-degree applicants. The latest score accepted for Fall admission is January. However, applicants are strongly encouraged to write the LSAT earlier if possible given the nature of the rolling admissions process. A score of 160 or above is considered a competitive score for applicants to combined programs. Applicants can create an account with the Law School Admission Council and register for the LSAT online at lsac.org.
The JD/MBA program provides an exceptional education for highly motivated, talented students capable of managing the demands of two intensive programs simultaneously. Graduates from the JD/MBA program are uniquely positioned to pursue highly rewarding careers in law and business and make valuable contributions to fields that require the application of both disciplines.
Students in this program, who are expected to have at least two years of quality work experience prior to beginning the program, will begin with the business essentials component of the MBA from March to August prior to beginning first-year Law. Both degrees are completed in 38 months instead of the four academic years that would be required if the degrees were completed separately.
Applications to the JD/MBA must be submitted to both programs:
Law: Apply to Western Law through the Ontario Law School Application Service by November 1. Check both “JD” and “JD/MBA” when selecting the programs to which you are applying. There is no extra cost associated with this. (If you select only JD/MBA you will still be considered for the JD program.)
Business: The application to the MBA is available on the Ivey Business School website.
Applicants to the combined program should demonstrate:
- Leadership potential, as demonstrated on their autobiographical sketch or resume;
- Quality work experience, defined as a minimum of two years of full-time experience; and
- A strong academic record, demonstrated by a solid undergraduate average and a strong LSAT score. Candidates with LSAT scores of 160 or above are not required to write the GMAT.
JD/MSc (Computer Science)
JD/MSc (Geology or Geophysics)
Applications to the JD/MSc or JD/MA combined programs must be submitted to both programs separately. This can be done in one of two ways. In either case you must indicate in both applications your intention to pursue the combined-degree program.
- Apply to both programs separately by the deadlines established by the Faculty of Law (November 1 for Fall admission) and the Computer Science, Geology/Geophysics, or History Graduate Programs, as the case may be. The application to the JD program is available at the Ontario Law School Application Service website.
- After beginning first-year Law, apply to the MSc program by the deadline established by the Computer Science, Geology/Geophysics, or History Graduate Programs.