Exchange an LL.B. for a J.D.
Information About the New J.D. Designation for LL.B Graduates
In November 2008, Western’s University Senate approved the switch to awarding the title of the first Western Law degree from Bachelor of Laws (LL.B.) to Juris Doctor (J.D.) Western Law alumni have the option to change their degree to a J.D. (with a fee to replace their diploma) or retain their LL.B.
Up to August 2009 students could opt to receive either the LL.B or J.D. degree designation. As of September 2009 all students graduating from Western Law will receive a J.D. degree.
If you wish to change your degree designation from LL.B. to J.D., you will need to follow the procedure below.
If you have any questions about the replacement procedure, fees or mailing process, please contact the Office of the Registrar at the University of Western Ontario at firstname.lastname@example.org.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR OBTAINING A J.D. DIPLOMA TO REPLACE YOUR LL.B. DIPLOMA
If you wish to obtain the Juris Doctor (J.D.) diploma, you must concede your LL.B. diploma by following these steps:
• Download, print and complete the Request for Replacement J.D. Diploma Form and send it by mail with your original LL.B Diploma and the correct fee to the Office of the Registrar.
• To ensure the security of your degree, we recommend that you send your original degree via registered mail. Your J.D. degree will be couriered to you by FEDEX and will require a signature for pick-up.
• If you have lost or misplaced your LL.B diploma, please complete the Statutory Declaration Form to reflect the loss or destruction of your degree. Please note that the Statutory Declaration form must be signed and stamped by a Notary Public to be considered valid.
• Payment by certified cheque, money order, personal cheque or credit card made payable to the Office of the Registrar in the amount of $58.50 CDN must accompany your request for replacement form and original diploma by mail. If you submit the form in person to the Officer of the Registrar you may pay in cash. If you wish to pick up the new degree in person, the Office of the Registrar will contact you at the phone number on your request for replacement form.
• If you wish to have the replacement J.D. diploma mailed back to you, you must include an additional postage fee, as follows: Within Canada: $31.00 and Outside of Canada: $65.00.
•Total replacement costs for receiving the J.D. Diploma will be $58.50 for pick-up, $89.50 for delivery within Canada and $123.50 for delivery outside of Canada.
• The Office of the Registrar will endeavor to process requests for degree replacement within Canada in a period of 60 days and outside of Canada within 90 days. Peak periods of convocation, registration and add/drop periods may delay this turnaround time due to administrative demands.
TO ACCESS THE REQUEST FOR REPLACEMENT J.D. DIPLOMA FORM please click here.
MAILING AND PICK-UP ADDRESS:
OFFICE OF THE REGISTRAR UNIVERSITY OF WESTERN ONTARIO Rm. 1120 Western Student Services Building, University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario N6A 3K7 ATTN: Leasa Kaufman