Exchange an LL.B. for a J.D.

In November 2008, Western’s University Senate approved the switch to awarding the title of the first Western Law degree from Bachelor of Laws (LL.B.) to Juris Doctor (J.D.). Western Law alumni have the option to change their degree to a J.D. (with a fee to replace their diploma) or retain their LL.B.

Up to August 2009 students could opt to receive either the LL.B or J.D. degree designation. As of September 2009 all students graduating from Western Law have received a J.D. degree.

If you wish to change your degree designation from LL.B. to J.D., you will need to follow the procedure below.

If you have any questions about the replacement procedure, fees or mailing process, please contact Western University's Office of the Registrar at

Instructions for obtaining a J.D. diploma to replace your LL.B. diploma 

If you wish to obtain the Juris Doctor (J.D.) diploma, you must concede your LL.B. diploma by following these steps:

  1. Send an email to informing them you're exchanging your LL.B. for a J.D.
  2. Download, print and complete the Request for Replacement Diploma Form [PDF] and send it by registered mail with your original LL.B Diploma and the correct fee to the Office of the Registrar.

    Western Student Services Building, Room 2140
    Attn: Student Records
    London, ON

Payment by credit card, certified cheque, money order, or personal cheque made payable to the Office of the Registrar must accompany your Request for Replacement Diploma form and original diploma by mail.

If you submit the form in person to the Office of the Registrar you may pay in cash. If you wish to pick up the new degree in person, the Office of the Registrar will contact you at the phone number on your form.

If you have lost or misplaced your LL.B diploma, please complete the Statutory Declaration Form [PDF] to reflect the loss or destruction of your degree. Please note that the Statutory Declaration form must be signed and stamped by a Notary Public to be considered valid.

The Office of the Registrar will endeavor to process requests for degree replacement within Canada in a period of 60 days and outside of Canada within 90 days. Peak periods of convocation, registration and add/drop periods may delay this turnaround time due to administrative demands.