Public and Private International Law Research Group
The Public and Private International Law (PPIL) Research Group was founded in 2018 to foster collaboration, debate, and engagement on international law at Western Law. The Research Group draws on Western Law’s faculty strength in international law, including members with expertise across both Public International Law and Private International Law. In doing so, it provides a unique platform for scholarly engagement both within these areas of law as well as between them. The PPIL Research Group will serve as the hub for international law events and international law scholarship at Western Law. The Group’s members work on a wide range of issues, spanning international human rights law, international trade law, private international law, international labour law, international criminal law, the history and theory of international law, and beyond.
- Date to be Confirmed: "COVID and International Law" Panel Discussion
- Friday, November 6, 2020: International Law and Global Justice Lecture, Payam Akhavan (Massey College; University of Toronto; Permanent Court of Arbitration), "Justice for Genocide: Reflections on the World Court Rohingya Case"
- Tuesday, March 19, 2019: International Law and Global Justice Speaker Series, “International Law and Climate Change: Challenges and Possibilities”
- Monday, September 9, 2019: International Law and Global Justice Speaker Series, Ambassador Rosemary McCarney, (Canadian Ambassador to the United Nations in Geneva) (co-sponsored by the Distinguished Speaker Series)
- Saturday, September 21, 2019: PPIL Research Group Works-in-Progress Workshop on International Criminal Law
- Monday, November 11, 2019: International Law and Global Justice Lecture, Jutta Brunnée (University of Toronto Faculty of Law), "International Law in the Age of Populism"
Research Group Members:
- Bassem Awad (visiting member): International Intellectual Property, International Trade Law, Data Governance and Disruptive Technologies (Artificial Intelligence and Big Data)
- Colin Campbell: International Taxation and Treaties
- Chi Carmody: Public International Law, International Trade Law, Legal Theory and International Organizations
- Jennifer Farrell: International Taxation and Treaties
- Joanna Langille: Private International Law, International Trade Law, International Law Theory
- Ryan Liss (Co-Director): Public International Law, International Criminal Law, International Human Rights Law, and International Humanitarian Law
- Michael Lynk: International Labour Law, International Humanitarian Law, International Human Rights Law
- Margaret Martin: International Criminal Law, and International Law Theory
- Valerie Oosterveld (Co-Director): International Criminal Law (including sexual and gender-based crimes) and Transitional Justice
- Stephen Pitel: Private International Law
- Elizabeth Steyn: International Human Rights Law; International Environmental Law; International Trade Law; Extractive Industries, Energy & Sustainability
- Joanna Quinn: Transitional Justice; Customary Law; Restorative Justice