Graduate Students' Conference Presentations and Publications
Grants & Awards
Conference Papers Presented
- "EU-Turkey Deal: Violation of, or Consistency with, International Law?" (2016) European Papers (Forum) Insight 3(1), 1995-1203;
- "Non-Refoulement in the International Refugee Law Regime: A Lex Specialis?" (2017) Cornell Journal of International Law Online 3, 31-33.
- “Informing Non-Refoulement Obligations with Responsibility to Protect” (2017) Inter Gentes: McGill Journal of International Law & Legal Pluralism.
- “Rise of the Corporation and Corporate Social Responsibility: The Case for Corporate Customary International Law” (2017) 54 Canadian Yearbook of International Law.
- “The Environment and Armed Conflict: Employing General Principles to Protect the Environment” in Carsten Stahn, Jens Iverson & Jennifer Easterday, eds. Environmental Protection and Transitions from Conflict to Peace: Clarifying Norms, Principles and Practices (Oxford University Press, 2017).
- (with Sara Seck), “Business and Human Rights: Challenges in Accessing Remedy and Justice” in Gordon DiGiacomo, ed. Current Issues and Controversies in Human Rights (University of Toronto Press, 2016).
- “Just a click away? Jurisdiction and virtually carrying on business in Canada”, Journal of Private International Law, (2017) 13:3, 602-632. Her article is available online at https://doi.org/10.1080/17441048.2017.1387681.
- “As Canadian As Apple Pie: A Critique Of The OSC’s Adoption Of Whistleblowing Bounties Under Policy 15-601”, upcoming: Canadian Business Law Journal (June 2019).
- American Society of International Law, International Refugee Law Interest Group Student Essay Award, First Place for paper titled "State Discretion in EU Refugee Status Determination Processes: Violation or Adherence to Non-Refoulement?" (Feb 2017);
- European Union Studies Association, Haas Fund Fellowship for EU-related dissertation, $3000USD (Jan 2018).
- 2014-2018 Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council Doctoral Fellowship ($80,000).
- “Reconciling Diversity: A Path Forward”, Annual Congress of the Humanities and Social Sciences, Regina, (Upcoming - June 1, 2018).
- “Canada’s Duty to Consult and Inuit Rights - An Arctic Enigma”, Graduate Students Conference on Indigenous Knowledge and Research in Indigenous Studies, Winnipeg (March 9th & 10th, 2018);
Jenny Poon (selected only):
- "Dynamism of Non-Refoulement: Implications for Future International Protection?", Osgoode Hall, Toronto (March 2018);
- “EU Migration Control: Violation or Compliance with International Law?”, ‘Controlling Migration Through Cooperation’ Seminar, Tilburg, The Netherlands (February 2018);
- "Non-Refoulement in the Human Rights and Refugee Contexts", Asylum Workshop with Professor James C. Hathaway, University College London (May 2017);
- "Non-Refoulement as a Norm in International and European Law", Work-In-Progress Seminar, Refugee Studies Centre, University of Oxford (May 2017).
- “Follow the Conflict Minerals: Human Rights Violations throughout Supply
Chains”, Resource Extraction and the Rights of Women and Girls Conference, University of Ottawa (October 2017);
- “Protecting the Environment during Armed Conflict”, 11th Annual International Humanitarian Law Conference, Canadian Red Cross and University of New Brunswick Law, Fredericton (March 2017);
- “Corporate Legal Accountability: Corporations, Corporate Social Responsibility, Business & Human Rights and Customary International Law”, Business and Human Rights Young Researchers Summit, St. Gallen, Switzerland (April 2016).
- "Bad for ‘Good’ Business:Choc v Hudbay Minerals and its Paradoxical Prevention of Human Rights Protection”, Emory Law Graduate Conference, Emory University (October 2017);
- “Just a Click Away? Jurisdiction and Virtually Carrying on Business in Canada”, National Judicial Institute, Vancouver (May 2017).
- "Intellectual Property (IP) and the Right to Food”, Challenging Intellectual Property -2017 Canadian Intellectual Property Scholars Workshop, University of Ottawa (May 2017).
- “Building From the Right Foundation: Legal Issues in Start-up Business”, Burman University, Alberta (February 2018).